Sunday, March 26, 2006

Tomorrow is "Joe Day"

In honor of Joe Day we will share with you a little tidbit from Battle Creek's Joe Schwarz- one of the last true Republicans who doesn't put party allegiance ahead of principles. I don't entirely agree with him but at least he stands by his beliefs and doesn't put party before country like so many of his colleagues. Schwarz recently spoke to some Marshall high school students and had this to say:


"(Convicted Republican Congressman) Duke Cunningham is in jail, he belongs in jail. He betrayed his family, he betrayed his country and worst of all, he betrayed himself...I have no sympathy for him whatsoever."

"I am going to support John McCain (for president.) ... Though he is putting people into place, he will wait until after the 2006 election before he will say whether he will run. I believe if he runs, he will serve just one term. If you don't have that hanging over your head, you make stronger decisions."

On Iraq: "They think we're losing control in some part of the country so the numbers need to go back up. The historians will decide whether we were correct in going in. I think maybe the Harry S. Truman doctrine of containment may be a better way. But don't think when we're out, our problems will be over."

"I will not vote to overturn Roe v. Wade. I believe it is a woman's choice. It should not be made by some gray haired, middle aged man like myself. If you can carry the baby to term, it will be taken care of. The decision is yours to make. I'm not crazy about abortion but I will never vote to overturn Roe v. Wade."

"I supported Michigan's DOMA because it's the state that marries you so a state statute is appropriate but I don't support a state constitutional or a federal amendment that bans gay marriage. You do not make social policy in the Constitution."


Thanks to the little bird who supplied me with these great quotes- you know who you are!

7 comments:

Boggsone said...

LOL Joe is the epitome of "run until they get tired and you might get elected"! Go through the archives of the Battle Creek Enquirer on the time he tried to run down a man, with his car, at the VA Hospital. FOIA BC Police records on his dogs and his fights with neighbors. It goes on. US Congressman?, now this was hard to swallow for "informed" voters. Shows how naive most voters are! He is arrogant enough, and so self-absorbed, I suspect he would even think about running for President! His quotes can probably be found elsewhere, written by someone else. Steer clear of this guy. I did hear, though, he was a good M.D. I sure wish he would go back to Doctoring!

Boggsone said...

Was thinking of taking tomorrow off, now have to work. Cannot support "Joe Day."

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know who I am and thanks for sharing with other watchdogs. Love your blogspot here! Keep up the great commentary, perspectives and thanks for provding valuable resources.

Anonymous said...

Good morning pol watcher....
your alter ego is clever....

but:

Who can mock both democrats and republicans?
What iconaclast can blast both the powers that be and the power wan-a-bes?
Who wants to have his cake and eat it too?
Who wants to butter his bread on both sides?

...your "radicalism" is your signature...but I will not tell if you don't.

Stick with me and you'll get the skinny on some fat commissioners.

..but in the mean time I'd like to invite you to a weanie roast on April 16th. They're serving Orvin Meyer Wieners. After dropping the ball on Lincoln Day Dinner there's mutiny from stern to bow. Mark Englarth is commandeering Lincoln day and throwing Orvin overboard.

Good Cop...Bad Cop

Commissioner Callton was asked to intervene and politely talked to Ovin about giving up the republican party chair. Twice rebuffed, Callton handed the task to Mr. Sluggo...Mark Englarth.

Oh...just a correction. Reka Holly is not dropping her ball because of school... but it's because of her staff position on the De Vos campaign.
I think that you and Reka would make a nice couple ... that is if opposites attract.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff about Schwarz, I am a big fan too. Hopefully we will be able to get him re-elected this year, for some reason he has a primary challenger...

Boggsone said...

To elaborate on my previous comments amounting to a big "NO" on a Joe Day, I present the following: Battle Creek Enquirer Letter to the Editor, 4-1-06, by Tom Cook of Marshall (a former Professor of mine years ago): In response to Child Care Cuts in the Bush proposed budget, a protest was held outside the Schwarz BC Office. A spokesman for Schwarz, in pure Schwarz fashion, was "flabbergasted" at the local response. He told the people Schwarz was "thousands of miles away, and the document wasn't even in place yet." He apparently ended by saying the protest, or more like a 1st Amendment exercise, was "laughable."

Apparently Schwarz has cloned his aides to be just like him. These words are the Schwarz I knew. The Letter proceeded to indicate Schwarz, a M.D., voted against Medicaid and Education monies, despite his stand supporting education.

Once again, the Schwarz I know. He is like the rest of the rascals, out for himself and self-glory. He was elected as a result of tactics they use in School Millage elections; Keep it on the ballot until they cave in or the ill-informed put the vote over the top.

Warning: When in the vicinity of Schwarz, and his face and head get red, run, especially if he is driving a car (Va Hospital incident) or is within striking distance.

He is a big Bully! GOD, help us!

Anonymous said...

New quotes?

I like them, I wish more congressmen spoke this way!