Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Exemption redemption

I would still like to further redeem myself concerning the property tax exemption suggestions mentioned in last Sunday’s blog, let me attempt to explain this very clearly: I have owned up to my (and my sources’) mistake on suggesting Brian Calley had a second homestead exemption, overlooking the possibilty he had another kind of exemption — agricultural. I also have been accused of making “bogus” allegations against Clare Tripp and her properties in that same blog, but anyone who read the posting saw that I said “IF” Clare took a homestead exemption on her Lakeside Drive property in addition to the English Court property receiving one, it would be illegal. Furthermore, I stated “IF” Clare’s defense was that she was living separately and therefore entitled to the Lakeside exemption, she would have to fess up to filing a false affidavit listing the English Court address as primary. Before I posted Sunday, my sources insisted an Internet site listed a homestead exemption for both parcels. Since then I have contacted Banner Editor David T. Young and he said he was told by Yankee Springs Township Clerk Jan Lippert there is no homestead exemption for the Tripps on the Lakeside property. Except for the statement about Calley and Tripp both accepting more than one homestead exemption, all accusations against Tripp were written on conditional terms, with emphasis on the word “if.” I cannot prove whether the information was "scrubbed" or if my original source was wrong. I will surely be more careful in the future and I have pulled the story from the site since I can no longer stand behind it as being completely accurate.

What actually led up to all of this was when the blog was posted there was much confusion about Ms. Tripp’s contention to Banner reporter Jon Gambee (in response to a previous posting here) that she and her husband owned four properties in Yankee Springs Township, all within a few miles of each other. She was asked why she has been listed officially in phone books, Internet searches, Barry County government directories and her affidavit in filing for office as having lived at four different addresses in the past three years. I felt the answers she gave, from the account I was given, were lacking. Because of the obvious obsfucation I did some digging and was given the information from a very reliable source that led to Sunday's story in which I stated that Calley and Tripp both had improper exemptions. I was wrong about Calley and I have admitted that. I have yet to hear from anyone with information telling me why the accusation against Tripp might be "bogus." I looked up the word “bogus,” in the dictionary and found it means “fake” or “made up.” Such a charge against this blog is overstatement, embellishment and unfair- and probably made by someone with an axe to grind. A better and more accurate characterization of Sunday’s posting would be “mistaken” or “misunderstood.” It's hard when politicians and candidates so often refuse to come clean even when caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

To wrap all of this up, I hope, when you have unusual living arrangements and countless eyewitness accounts cast doubt on your telling the truth about where you live on a public document such as an affidavit, you’re better off just telling everyone the truth from the get-go. After all, you’re a public official and you should be held accountable for such discrepancies. I continue to believe Clare Tripp is not coming clean in her answers in response to these questions and I will still pursue the story. There's not just one cookie jar here, there's four...

3 comments:

Boggsone said...

Clare has answers she needs to give the public, all, not just her district! But, I would like to hear what she has done for the County, other than show up for committee meetings, do what they want, and then have short Monthly Board Meetings and quickly approve everything and get out. What difficult tasks or problems has she tackled, those that have been brought up over and over again in this County, by the people who employ her. She has done nothing, I repeat nothing! Did you go to bat for the 911 Dispatchers when the Banner editorialized it was being run by "Hitler?" How about the flunkie "civilian-at-large" Ron Neil, who is not a true civilian, but a retired State Police Commander. You already have a State Police Commander on the Board, why do you need two? Do you get out of tickets?

You are the Chair, give me one example of standing up and being "The Chair." What strong, take charge action have you taken, give me one example.

What are you doing to get more deputies on our roads? How about a couple new Prosecutors to reduce plea bargains. What do you do for us? You endorse our checks very well! That's my money you are spending! What have you given me in return?

Jay said...

Check with the Equalization Department (probably both Allegan & Barry in this case). They should have a clear picture.

------------------

Liked Dan Krueger's (Ottawa Co. Clerk) in the Sunday GR Press Region section about the homestead/ dual residency issue. It happens far more than folks realize.

Boggsone said...

I don't have the time either to look up some of these issues. So, if I own a house and then some farmland down the road, I can file for two homestead exemptions? Sounds like some fancy foot work by the Newells of the State to put money in the hands of the haves and less in my hands, when I only own a house, one? If I buy an acre of land down the road, and Farmer Wing plants some corn on it, I get more money back from the State? How much?

When did a row of corn become a home? I did admit to a lack of knowledge on this subject now, so don't come on the attack! Just asking!