Friday, February 24, 2006

Meet the 87th candidates- the small town mayor

I have some pretty good sources on the 87th state house open seat primary and I will share some of the insights I have gained into the race in the coming days and weeks. So, let's meet the first candidate...

Frank Campbell — This is a very nice man who probably will be chewed up and spit out by Lansing insiders and lobbyists. Frank, a small-town rube who talks like he just stepped out of an episode of "Green Acres," likes to think of himself as a maverick, yet he's enamored with the pomp and circumstance, the ribbon cuttings, glad handing with "Howdy friends and neighbors, I'm former Mayor Frank Campbell, and I'd be pleased as punch to be your state representative." Frank would be on the team in Lansing, and though he likes to think he roars like a lion, he's gentle as a lamb. With Frank, we could expect more of the same old, same old because he lacks the savvy to understand the nuances of state-level politics, and would be taken advantage of. I suppose it'd be a bit like "Mr. Smith Goes to Lansing," but this is 2006, not 1946. I'd almost be horrified at the prospect of Mayor Frank winning this race if it wasn't for some of the other candidates who don't seem any better or brighter.